Total Pageviews

Wednesday 20 July 2016

Touring with Hawkwind. Post 9. SPACE ROCK and SPACE CADETS and Davy Jones!!

All band members were told to be at the Rainbow for a special event: we were all invited to dinner with David Bowie!! Wow, I said and Wow again. I was a huge fan of Mr Jones so this was going to be an occasion and a half. We were all there on time for a change, sat around and waiting. Dave said that Dave was doing this by way of an apology for having nicked Simon House to play violin with his touring band and that I had better sit fairly close to him because he would want to meet the person who had filled the missing place in Hawkwind. The great man turned up just a few minutes late accompanied by Simon and two massive body guards who kept close by.
DAVID BOWIE 78 STYLE
They keep any outsiders away from our group and Mexican food was ordered all round. After introductions, tour stories were exchanged a bit and then David asked me how the tour was going. I felt I should keep the conversation going by saying I thought we were born in the same hospital. 'Ah, Stony Park, Bromley," he replied. "I was going to be born there but finally my mum had me at home. But Peter was born there, Peter Frampton. So, you're a Bromley lad are you?" "More Beckenham," I replied," I came to your Folk Club at the Three Tuns a couple of times". " Ah the good old days," he laughed. Conversation over.
Of course, the most surprising thing about him was his size: he is quite a tiny man, about the same height as Johnny Lydon, a bit shorter than Lemmy, the same height as Eddy Van Halen who I'd met back in Milwaukee. And he seemed a bit shy all things considered. Then suddenly he was off with hand shakes all round: I caught up with his party a couple of weeks later, another story to come. Our status in the Rainbow definitely went up a notch after that meal. Bowie was the biggest star to eat there that month and we were his guests!! Even the Hispanic gang guarding the cars heard and gave us more respect.

On our first visit to The Starwood for our first sound check they had the big side doors open and we could see what a barn of a place it was, holding 800 max. Some salesmen turned up and gave Dave and Adrian wi-fi connections between there guitars and amps, the first time we had seen such things. They tried them out but didn't buy anything. The tour was already well over budget and there were already rumours that our per diems would be cut before the end. I was already struggling financially but help was at hand. 

I hung out with Adrian and Simon mostly and they had already warned me about Space Cadets, a particular band of girls to be found in California who were quite well off and were living well off the planet earth, and I met a few that afternoon who were offering me everything, drugs, food, drinks, more drugs. One girl gave me a few pills and said this will brighten up your day and, showing off really, I necked them immediately and the rest of the tour was never the same again.
To this day I'm not sure what they were: ten years later I would have said a mixture of speed and ecstasy. Whatever they were, I was flying.
I remember very little of the first night there, we played three or four nights, I can't remember. What I do remember is watching all of Nic Guilder's set the first night and thinking they were bloody good and later watching Detective for about two tunes and deciding they were rubbish, too prog rock. There were loads of bodies around the dressing rooms, lots of drinking going on and I returned to my hotel room with a gang of about half a dozen space cadets, including one bloke who just kept rolling splits and who had brought a ghetto blaster with him which played space rock or similar non-stop. The various girls were all over me but there was one in charge, quite a beautiful, full-figured blond called Jill. She gave me a BJ and told me she would look after me while I was in LA and if I came back. And she did. She gave me money, bought all the presents for me to take home to my wife and boys, made sure I ate something everyday and checked what drugs I was taking. From what I gathered, she'd been around the block a few times and provided a similar service for quite a few British musicians over the last few years.
But two of the other space cadets, both with long hair in plaits, one black hair, one brown, both slim and small-breasted, were always around and slipping me different pills without Jill seeing and they seemed to get stronger all the time, the girls and the pills. As the pill-taking increased, my appetite decreased until the only meal I was even attempting was breakfast. But Jill would make sure I at least drunk a carrot juice at lunchtime.
MAHOGONEY RUSH
There were other drugs around. I know Simon was taking smack on a daily basis and there was usually some coke around. I wasn't into smack at all but quite liked coke but refused to buy it, it was too expensive for me. I could only afford freebies. And of course, there were other bands in the hotel which we would sometimes get into things with. Mahogany Rush were staying just down the hall and although some of their crew were very friendly, we didn't see much of the three band members more than saying hi in the lift. But one afternoon, when the space cadet crew were in my room, we ran out of rolling papers and the nearest place to buy some was a car ride away. So I said I knew where I could get some and wandered down the hall to Mahogany Rush's guitarist's room and knocked on the door. The door was answered after a few seconds by two naked nubile girls, think that Zeppelin cover or the Blind Faith cover. I mean these girls were young, 13, 14 at most. A voice from the bed told them to give me what I wanted, they did, smiled at me and then closed the door again.
The Buddy Miles band was also in the hotel and those guys were very cool, always gave you the nod but never spoke, were often in the bar but in a huddle round a corner table. But this was back then when in general white and black worlds were very different and there was little mixing or contact. What I did gather was that both these bands were not on tour: they were living in the hotel whilst working on an album, recording in one of LA's many top studios.
The Blockheads were touring like us though, using the hotel as a base for a few gigs they had in South California. And we did have some fun with them, mainly late at night, mainly when drunk. The height of our madness was a 'gunfight' using Chinese rockets, along our corridor until someone from the hotel management came up and asked us to stop, not because of the fireworks per se but because there were complaints about the noise we were making. But we were just continuing the long tradition of British bands behaving badly in this hotel, previous incumbents including The Who, Led
LED ZEPPELIN WITH SPACE CADETS AT THE RAINBOW
Zeppelin and The Stones, all of whom ran up bills of damage and destruction well above ours. On arrival Jeff Dexter had told us to keep damage to a strict minimum as we were already over-budget!!
Many years later, in LA on business with my wife, we stayed in a hotel about 100 yards distant from the Hyatt: I decided that the Hyatt was a risk as it was renown for bands staying there, so chose a quiet looking smaller place. Very soon we realised we had made a mistake as we had loud guitar music from one room just down the corridor, people, including females in very little clothing, moving between two or three neighbouring rooms, leaving the doors open and having loud conversations from room to room and then, to cap it all, rhythmic thumping on one of our walls as someone was getting into some very energetic sex. I went to the front desk to see if we could move and the manager said," Oh, I thought you all were in the rock business from your look, so I put you on the 'rock' side. I can move you to the other side if you'd prefer." So, I guess it's not just the Hyatt that is infested with rock bands misbehaving.
On the last night at the Starwood, I got into some trouble with some guys from the other support band after our set. We had been drinking heavily and it was a hot night so we were standing on the landing of the external fire escape, well up above the venue's car park.
THE RIOT HOUSE
There was an 'O' shaped  hole in the middle of a wall opposite and we decided to have a competition to see who could throw an empty beer bottle through that hole. Well, we never made it through the hole but we did land a lot of beer bottles, smashing as they landed in the car park. And this was met by furious shouting by a guy down there. Jill, who was there as well said, "Oh shit, it's a biker gang who run this car park." And she had the presence of mind to run down to the next landing where there was a pulley which allowed one to pull up the last half-storey of the fire escape, stopping the guy from coming up to get at us. He was mouthing up all sorts of threats and made it clear he'd clocked us and would get us when we attempted to leave as he swung a nasty looking crowbar around. I was too out of it to realise the danger but Jill organised the crew to hide me and smuggle me out as the biker and his cronies looked into every face to see if it was me.
A fitting end to LA. The Santa Monica gig was cancelled and we had to be up early for the drive up to San Francisco (Dave and Bob flew up.)
And a very nice drive it was. Good to see some countryside after 5 days in the city.

TO BE CONTINUED. Peace and love in the hippest city of the tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment