Total Pageviews

Friday 27 May 2016

The Country Outside Europe I Have VIsited The Most.

A marvellous waiter in my favourite restaurant in Marrakech.

In fact it is a tie between the USA and Morocco, 5 times each, followed by Dominica and South Africa, twice each. Then there is a long list of once each - Egypt, Mauritius, Dominican Republic, Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Gambia, Senegal and very quickly, Jamaica, Kenya and Qatar.
But Morocco wins because my last visit to the USA was in 1989 and I have no intention of returning, partly because I jumped bail, but that is another story of escape.
I first went to Morocco back in 1973 with my first wife and our three-year old son, Sam. Back then, there weren't that many tourists except people on the hippy trail which included us in a way. And in spite of many adventures (yet another escape story or two) I was very taken with the place and wanted to go back again.

The town square in a town out in the sticks

This didn't happen for many years till I returned with my second lady partner and her three teenage children in 2003, thirty years later. And the country had really changed. Now there were loads of tourists and the country had modernised somewhat. And we had some adventures too.
I've since been back three times by myself, although once was a group trek so I wasn't really alone. That was a great holiday because we really visited all parts of Morocco and with great guides. I realised that I was most impressed by the Berber population and the High Atlas and the land further south. I have been back to Essouaira three times since my first visit back in the early 70's and that seaside town has at least tripled in size being now a popular seaside destination for the middle classes of Marrakech, a mere 4 hours drive away on the new motorway.

Essouaira, behind the port

I always go nowadays either in late November or late February when the weather is fine but the place is less crowded and Essouaira is a good base for renting a car and exploring more of the south of the country. I have always found good guest houses but next time I will probaby try AirBnB. Because there will be a next time, quite possibly the coming winter when I always like to get away to somewhere a bit sunnier and warmer and to see different things. I might even drive down there in my own car which allows me the alternative of sleeping in it, particularly when away from my base.
But, for now, here are some photos from my last trip in 2013, a break I took from looking after my mum (Social Services replaced me, they gave me 70 days off a year, much needed).

The beach in Essouaira.

So, enjoy the photos and you can look forward to more and a more detailed account next winter. And, if you are thinking of taking a trip to Morocco, I thoroughly recommend Essouaira as a destination. It's beautiful, friendly and not expensive (outside of summer holiday dates). And if you like sea food and the beach, it's the place for you.




No comments:

Post a Comment